Assemble Papers is looking for a part-time (0.6, 3 days p/w) Editorial Assistant. This is a stellar opportunity to join the Assemble team and contribute towards the professional, commercial and cultural success of the firm and the positive change it seeks to make in the world. Start date 1 July 2021.
As Assemble Papers’ Editorial Assistant you are responsible for supporting the Editor in delivering the publication Assemble Papers across its various platforms. Through your knowledge and networks you will constantly seek relevant and forefront content ideas, while ensuring and upholding the editorial integrity of the publication. You represent Assemble Papers and will actively promote the values of the publication across both internal and public facing channels.
Assemble Papers comprises two print issues per year. The print magazine has 12-15 articles each, which are also distributed online. Online content is produced on a case-by-case basis.
Assemble Papers is published by Assemble, a housing developer and community management business on a mission to make thoughtfully designed, sustainable homes more accessible to more people.
With a deep respect for people and place, we create communities that embrace diversity, reflect local culture and nurture a stronger sense of ownership and belonging.
We believe that every Australian should have access to quality, well-designed apartments, and the security and peace of mind to make them places that feel like home.
Assemble Papers expands our thinking, advocates for solutions to some of our most critical societal challenges and engages with the communities in which we operate. We invest in Assemble Papers because it allows us to interrogate ideas and issues important to the business and our mission.
- Working closely with the Editor, assist in developing the theme and content plan for each print issue of Assemble Papers, to be delivered across print and online
- Assist in commissioning content, ensuring contributors have the requisite information to develop the article (including contacts and submission deadlines)
- Assist in providing feedback to contributors on work submitted, coaching them through rounds of feedback and ensuring high quality editorial
- Pitch, write articles, and edit articles
- Seek out new contributors and manage relationships with existing contributors, including photographers, image makers, and illustrators
- Source images for publication from contributors or through the internet – knowledge of basic image licensing and copyright laws would be helpful
- Keep up to date on relevant industry trends and news through regular research, reading and event attendance
- Assist in the design, production and distribution of each print issue, as required
- Organise distribution, including contacting new potential distributors and packaging and mailing copies of the print issue
- Assist in identifying and exploring partnership, promotion and event opportunities
- Assisting in organising Assemble Papers partnerships and events, including the launch of the print issue
- Occasionally attend industry events as a representative of Assemble Papers
- File and archive all materials (images, word documents) related to the issue
- Prepare and upload content (visual and written) to Assemble Papers website including sub-editing texts and re-sizing and editing images
- Supporting the Digital Marketing Manager & Social Media Manager on social media strategy for Assemble Papers
- Supporting the management of Assemble Papers social media (Instagram, Facebook, EDM) including writing and editing content.
- Support the Editor with research for upcoming Assemble Papers issues
- Support a broader research agenda specifically across Place and Design for Assemble’s projects
- Support with researching & writing place reports
Qualifications and experience
- 2+ year’s experience in an editorial or communications role
- Tertiary experience and/or expertise in housing, urbanism, social impact and justice and community engagement
- Demonstrated writing skills or published writing
- Demonstrated research skills and ability
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced and flexible work environment
- Excellent writing, editing and visual editing skills
- Basic knowledge of adobe creative suite, mainly photoshop & basic film editing software.
- Basic knowledge of all social media channels
- Ability to react to write briefs, and confidently suggest ideas and react to feedback
- The ability to plan and manage competing deadlines and priorities
- Impeccable attention to detail
- A proactive approach to problem solving, you are always thinking about how to improve the solution, and do it differently
- Ability to work with a diverse range of cross functional teams across marketing, social media, building development, finance and community
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality regarding all client and internal business information and intellectual property
- An existing knowledge of creative networks in Melbourne
- Knowledge and/or expertise with working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders peoples, including publishing protocol’s and cultural permissions
- Experience with podcasting
Apply to join our team by emailing a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with ‘Assemble Papers Editorial Assistant’ in the subject line. Applications close Friday 11 June.
[Image: Assemble Papers #11, photo by Henry Trumble]