Hard To Be A Diamond mix
Lauren Taylor and Simon Winkler are always on the search for the new and the next, digging for gems to play on Melbourne community radio station Triple R’s Thursday drive program Breaking and Entering. The duo were also the behind the very first EARS mixtape for Assemble Papers – all the way back in 2012! We thought we’d ask them back to do another mix for us to kick off Triple R’s 2016 Radiothon – the station’s annual subscription drive, happening this year from August 19–28.
In 2016, Triple R is celebrating 40 years of being on the air. Since its inception as an educational broadcaster in 1976, Triple R has become Australia’s largest community radio station, with almost 14,000 subscribers and over 440,000 listeners every week. As a not-for-profit station, Triple R relies on subscriptions to survive, with funds raised during Radiothon accounting for over half of the station’s operations for the year. Radiothon is also a time to celebrate the station’s hardworking volunteer broadcasters (including our very own AP editor Sara Savage, who presents Parallel Lines on Wednesday mornings!), its diverse programming, lack of play-listing, behind-the-scenes volunteers, subscribers and overall independence. Phew! That’s a cause we can get behind. If you agree – why not subscribe? Triple R subscribers are eligible for all kinds of exclusive giveaways throughout the year, and are also entitled to all kinds of special discounts from local businesses – check them out here. (For the full list of special Radiothon prizes, visit the Triple R website.)
In celebration of this year’s Radiothon theme, ‘A Jewel in the Junkheap’, Lauren and Simon share with us some treasured tracks on their It’s Hard To Be A Diamond mix. Inside you’ll find shimmering samples, 24-carat club sounds and deep seams of subterranean soul from Australia and elsewhere, handpicked exclusively for Assemble Papers.
Breaking and Entering airs 4–7pm Thursdays on 3RRR 102.7FM (digital and streaming via rrr.org.au).
Triple R’s 2016 Radiothon is happening between 19–28 August.
EARS #21: Hard To Be A Diamond mix by Lauren Taylor & Simon Winkler – tracklisting
1. Frits Wentink – You Be The Seaside (extract)
2. EL:WD – citystreetflower
3. Admin – Deep Mantra
4. David West – Dream On Dreamer
5. Blood Orange – Desiree
6. Toro Y Moi – Stoned At The MOMA
7. Witch Prophet – Architect Of HeartBreak Feat. Stas THEE Boss
8. Sampa The Great – Props
9. Kaytranada – Lite Spots
10. Felix Leifur – The Sunday Club
11. Leon Vynehall – Kiburu’s
12. Buz Ludza – Positive Vibes
13. Tirzah – Make It Up
14. Buscabulla – Sono
15. Exotic Snake – igno me
16. Odd Nosdam – Endless 432 (with Teebs)
Original photo by Brittany Lucas.
- Jil Raleigh of BKK Architects reflects on “What would Boyd do? Small Homes Service for today”, a conversation hosted by Rory Hyde and Philip Goad on Sunday 15 October, 2017 at MPavilion.
- 'After the revolution, who's going to pick up the garbage on Monday morning?', asked artist Mierle Laderman Ukeles in her Manifesto for Maintenance Art 1969! Eugenia Lim converses with the New York City Department of Sanitation's long-time official artist-in-residence about womanhood, motherhood and the social ecologies of our cities
- Local label founder, podcaster, DJ and more: Xander Byng's talents traverse the musical universe. We bring you a mixtape from the Melbourne-based party-maker, developed as a meditation on psychogeography: “I’ve always found that experiencing unfamiliar settings, especially in a familiar environment, really helps me to think more positively."