Hard To Be A Diamond mix
Lauren Taylor and Simon Winkler are always on the search for the new and the next, digging for gems to play on Melbourne community radio station Triple R’s Thursday drive program Breaking and Entering. The duo were also the behind the very first EARS mixtape for Assemble Papers – all the way back in 2012! We thought we’d ask them back to do another mix for us to kick off Triple R’s 2016 Radiothon – the station’s annual subscription drive, happening this year from August 19–28.
In 2016, Triple R is celebrating 40 years of being on the air. Since its inception as an educational broadcaster in 1976, Triple R has become Australia’s largest community radio station, with almost 14,000 subscribers and over 440,000 listeners every week. As a not-for-profit station, Triple R relies on subscriptions to survive, with funds raised during Radiothon accounting for over half of the station’s operations for the year. Radiothon is also a time to celebrate the station’s hardworking volunteer broadcasters (including our very own AP editor Sara Savage, who presents Parallel Lines on Wednesday mornings!), its diverse programming, lack of play-listing, behind-the-scenes volunteers, subscribers and overall independence. Phew! That’s a cause we can get behind. If you agree – why not subscribe? Triple R subscribers are eligible for all kinds of exclusive giveaways throughout the year, and are also entitled to all kinds of special discounts from local businesses – check them out here. (For the full list of special Radiothon prizes, visit the Triple R website.)
In celebration of this year’s Radiothon theme, ‘A Jewel in the Junkheap’, Lauren and Simon share with us some treasured tracks on their It’s Hard To Be A Diamond mix. Inside you’ll find shimmering samples, 24-carat club sounds and deep seams of subterranean soul from Australia and elsewhere, handpicked exclusively for Assemble Papers.
Breaking and Entering airs 4–7pm Thursdays on 3RRR 102.7FM (digital and streaming via rrr.org.au).
Triple R’s 2016 Radiothon is happening between 19–28 August.
EARS #21: Hard To Be A Diamond mix by Lauren Taylor & Simon Winkler – tracklisting
1. Frits Wentink – You Be The Seaside (extract)
2. EL:WD – citystreetflower
3. Admin – Deep Mantra
4. David West – Dream On Dreamer
5. Blood Orange – Desiree
6. Toro Y Moi – Stoned At The MOMA
7. Witch Prophet – Architect Of HeartBreak Feat. Stas THEE Boss
8. Sampa The Great – Props
9. Kaytranada – Lite Spots
10. Felix Leifur – The Sunday Club
11. Leon Vynehall – Kiburu’s
12. Buz Ludza – Positive Vibes
13. Tirzah – Make It Up
14. Buscabulla – Sono
15. Exotic Snake – igno me
16. Odd Nosdam – Endless 432 (with Teebs)
Original photo by Brittany Lucas.
- Back from a tour of Japan's culinary and cultural sites, we welcome back Julia Busuttil Nishimura of OSTRO. Australian-Maltese and a fluent Italian speaker, she brings an intuitive simplicity to contemporary Australian cooking. This week, Julia shares with us a recipe for perfect winter comfort food: chicken braised with veggies in a lightly perfumed dashi broth
- Edible schoolyards, indoor gardens, urban farms, and above all, a gentle sense of playfulness: New York-based WORKac reimagines buildings at the intersection of the urban, the rural and the natural. Elizabeth Campbell speaks with co-founder Dan Wood about architecture in which plants are just one of the building materials, and nature blends into infrastructure
- What makes a home out of an ordinary place? In this new edition of EYES, student of architecture and photographer Rita Liao takes us on a journey through central Taiwan, where she loses a family member, but finds a new sense of place and belonging